Tuesday, October 7, 2008

What a weekend...

Wow. So much happened last weekend:

The Audio Engineering Society convention returned to San Francisco for the weekend. It was nice to see old friends, and to also meet a lot of new and interesting people.

AES wasn't the only thing to return to SF; the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival was back for more! This annual "bluegrass" festival in Golden Gate Park, a gift to the city from gazillionare music-lover Warren Hellman, featured 5 stages of free music for all throughout the weekend. I only caught a little bit on Friday, but it was absolutely wonderful. Jerry Douglas provided the perfect theme music for us to slide on into the park by, and then came a real treat.

After the age of 14, I was never overly amazed with Led Zeppelin. However, it's classic music and I have great respect for what it did for (rock) music as a whole. So, I was actually pretty excited about seeing Robert Plant, Allison Kraus, and T-Bone Burnett perform while the sun set. Their voices (as well as the backing band) were spot on and unfaltering. Robert Plant is a magician! I loved the new original songs, but hearing this Battle of Evermore was really something special:




Finally, after work Monday, exhausted from the previous many days, I dragged myself to something I could not miss: David Byrne playing 'Songs of David Byrne and Brian Eno', at the Davies Symphony Hall. The effort paid off. I'll let others describe it, as I doubt I can do it justice. Wow.

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/15290/David-Byrne-10.07.08-S.F./















Set list:
"Strange Overtones"
"I Zimbra"
"One Fine Day"
"Help Me Somebody"
"Houses in Motion"
"My Big Nurse"
"My Big Hands (Fall Through the Cracks)"
"Heaven"
"The River"
"Crosseyed and Painless"
"Life is Long"
"Once in a Lifetime"
"Life During Wartime"
"I Feel My Stuff"
Encore:
"Take Me to the River"
"The Great Curve"
"Burning Down the House"